Monday, February 6, 2012

i'm revving this site up

I posted here for a couple years, sporadically, thinning my observations toward nil as I dealt with the onset of ALS, followed by the creation of als-whaticantellyou.blogspot.com  a rapidly growing monster that put this site on the endangered blog list for months. Back in August I claimed to have plans for  revival, skewered by the fact I never acted on my pledge. Now I am here to tell you I'm not so dilapidated as to eschew detailing my opinions, telling my fiction or relating my experiences. This site isn't likely to collect as many followers as my other single thread site because this site is more of an Egyptian 800 thread count package, where some threads appeal to some folks while the whole sheet appeals to others not at all. I do not cross the line of propriety here because if I did, I would find myself in the land of proper, a world where I never felt comfortable.


To whit-


I well understand the motivations of the media in this country and can guess that the concepts are similar, at some levels, throughout the globe. The reporting of events and happenings is regarded as news, but the priorities are never in line with the relevance of the story. A typical, glaring example would be the inclusion of anything involving Donald Trump on the evening news. He is not, and never has, seriously run for political office. He is, in my opinion, pompous, arrogant and ignorant. He may be sly as a fox, but unfortunately for the rest of us who must tolerate him, has the brain of one. The only way he could find me in his audience would be if he were a contestant on Wipe Out. Though held in contempt by staffers, congressmen and Senators in DC, his hyperbole entices many to comment on his inanities when the better path would be to ignore him completely. A podium or a soap box is only effective if surrounded by a crowd.


But, you might say he is a celebrity, or, more apt, he has celebrity. Hitler was, among many evils, a celebrity. His clipped mustache destroyed the style for decades to come, his name, Adolph, plummeted off the chart of baby names. As Trump's celebrity hasn't impacted baby names in the same manner and his bouffant comb over hasn't affected the course of hair styling, his celebrity holds equal, minimal significance in the public domain, if not the public eye. On the other hand, Hitler was and should have been on the evening news because his words, his actions were providing a profound difference in the state of Europe, the world. Conversely, Trump changes nothing but his mind. After supporting Newt, now he supports Mitt. He has always claimed to go with a winner. Problem is, he can't decide on one and hasn't the clout to create one. I see him as no more relevant than the single vote he can cast. At the end of the day, important news can only be found with a sieve that washes away the nonsense that news programs feel is necessary to gather ratings. Too bad.

3 comments:

Dennis said...

I think we should limit any politician's income to under $2ook. lets try true middle class running the country for a change?

dougleunig said...

I share your randomless observation to the extent that Trump is one of thousands of PODs or Personalities of Distraction. POD emerge at crucial junctures needed to spin something in a different manner. The reality of life is uniquely individual. Focusing on family, friends, and community is the best way to negate the need for PODs. Thank you for sharing your perceptions.

dougleunig said...
This comment has been removed by the author.