Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Amy's Endeavors

People, if you know me, you know Amy. What you know about her as a friend, business associate, relative or art lover only avails you to the aspect of her life that includes you. I, on the other hand, though not falling into any of your categories, catch the bits and pieces of every single aspect of her multitasking day. She would say I have no idea what she does specifically, and she'd be right, and I'd do well to listen better, but I'm in the "Unique" position as her husband to hear smatterings of most of her adventures.
So say, if you play volleyball with her, in open play or on a league, you know her through her efforts and passion on the court. If you're a member of the Bohemian Art Society, she's known to you as a Bohem. Arts Partners- one of them. Peoria Art Guild- breaking down barriers through connections with Peoria Business (Peoria Next, Heartland), Something Unique Studios, Bartonville (been there, done that, 3 years, on her own dime), Muralist (yes, great), Whimsical Furniture Designer (the best), Professional Bowler (well, no), former owner Something Unique retail store, Main and University, former owner, Something Unique retail store, Prospect in the Heights, former gymnast (yes, the uneven parallel bars), initiator of Art in the Islands, where she spent part of a summer teaching needy kids on Union Island, among others (Southern Grenadines, look it up)................. oh, yes, a world class mom, world class wife, world class grandmother, world class friend, lover............
I ask myself what I do to improve people's lives through my endeavours, and I find my contribution to be relatively small. Try assessing your own contribution to society; how selfless are any of us, really. It's not about money, fame or recognition. It's about giving more than you take.
Amy sets the bar far to high for most of us, but with motivation to step outside our world and into someone else's, we can make a small difference or a large one. By remaining static, we contribute nothing.
So I close this blog with the hope that the two or three people who read this will heap on the accolades that my wife deserves. I can't say enough.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Dad,
That's so sweet. Mom is awesome, and I strive to be more like her every day. Seriously, it's intentional! She works so hard for so many people, and gets so little appreciation for her efforts. She will work her paint-splattered fingers to the bone for someone else, and not take five minutes for herself. (Those of us who have seen her 'Big Hair' can attest to the fact that she doesn't take those five minutes for herself- just joking- I love the big curly mop!)
What I'd like to say to you, Dad, is that you shouldn't count yourself out. You are also amazing. A fabulous woman like mom would never have accepted you if you were less than fantastic. And I try to be like you every day too. I don't know how I got so lucky- having folks like you guys, but I try not to take it for granted. I love you both so very much. And I'm very proud of you.
Kiss noise,
Rachel