Saturday, September 26, 2009

Lamenting the death of architectural identity

Early American, generally. Specifically, Cape Cod, Saltbox, Victorian (borrowed from elsewhere), Arts and Crafts, borrowed Tudor (ie., English Tudor, half timbre), borrowed Greek Revival, borrowed Dutch, French Provincial, Country French, some Roman influences, Frank Lloyd Wright, yada, yada, yada...................
Today's residential designs run the gamut from mix master gable and hip combinations to schlock fests in neighborhoods throughout the country.
It started in the early to mid nineties and continues today with no end in sight. Home design and construction today has descended to the depths of temporary housing and the typical subdivision sports homes with similar brick, similar siding color, similar profiles and similar floor plans, all competing to lead the race for conformity. Anonymity. Replacability. Move anywhere in the United States and you're bound to find the typical 4 bedroom, 2-1/2 bath 2 story with a main floor master suite and two story entrance, three car garage and granite countertops, but ask what historical architectural style served as an inspiration and expect to get the "deer in the headlights" look.
I have no problem with new and practical. I know that the average twenty-first century family isn't going to be happy with an eighteenth century Salt Box with small windows and small rooms. What I don't like is the concept that if the guy down the street sold a s*** box, I'll build one just like it. Home building has morphed into standard TV fare- if people tune into crap, let's use the crap model to produce shows just the same. CSI, Las Vegas, Miami, New York, American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, America's Got Talent, NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, all the Law and Orders...........
Generally, as with clones, the first is the best, and the spinoffs spin downward. In construction, copy cat building has taken over the industry. Just drive around. See what I'm writing about. I've been building houses since 1976 and I am witnessing it first hand. I've probably contributed to the trend as much as anybody. No more, no more.

4 comments:

Sarah. said...

I agree with everything you said. Except for the part about So You Think You Dance. That show rocks.

Patti Zantout said...

ok, as a builder I can see what you're saying; what I don't hear is a solution!! yo mama

Unknown said...

I think this trend is not just limited to architecture. . . i'm going to blog my thoughts . ..

Jason said...

Hey, you're talking about my Vegas house, huh? Yep it's a piece of crapola (built about as cheaply as could possibly be, void of any character)....but my Reno house is quite a bit better (although I have no idea what it might be modeled after architecture-wise). Who's coming out to visit old Jason in Reno? Y'all are welcome!!!!! Best skiing in North Amerika!