Thursday, December 3, 2009

Book Review: "The Road"

I just finished The Road by McCarthy, wanting to catch the book before the movie, and I must say that I scorched this scorched earth novel in 3 days. The writing is as scaled down as the characters, stripped to the minimal- survival writing- and I loved it. I wish I could prose up like McCarthy. No paragraphing, no apostrophes, no concern for proper sentence structure, no hyperbole, no explanation, no expansions on concepts, no bullshit. It amazes me how such bare bones writing can grab so hard. I felt the pain, anguish, doubt, fear............................. the love, concern, hope (minimal), joy (brief), the anger, all well placed and recognizable. Reading this book made me feel like reading this book. If you can understand that, you'll feel the way I did these last few days. If you don't, you won't. As simple as that. No way the movie keeps up.

No comments: