Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Can't Sleep- New Recipe

It is 4am and I've been awake for 45 minutes. Why? Ask someone who knows. Assuredly it's not my angst over the national economy or concern for the Minnesota Vikings (the fact that Favre has literally nobody to throw to and Randy Moss sits on a Titans' bench notwithstanding).
It might be this CAD program, but I doubt it; I'm picking up little jewels of comprehension every day in that department. It could be I've turned the corner on aging and simply don't need the sleep any more.
So why am I posting? When I sat down, I had no idea. Since I started, I found one. I am going to share a recipe I found on line somewhere. I've prepared it twice. Once at a Wed. feast and once at Tim and Sarah's down in Dallas. I do need to emphasize that any deviation from my instructions will likely result in yuck.
What is it? Crazy Cajun Shrimp Etouffe Cream Over Garlic Noodles.
Here goes:

Serves 8

Need:

Roux:

3-1/2 tablespoons butter
3-1/2 tablespoons flour
1 red onion- chopped
1 green bell pepper- chopped
1 red bell pepper- chopped
2 stalks celery- chopped
6 cloves garlic- minced
1/2 cup fresh basil- chopped
1/2 cup parsley- chopped
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 10 oz. bottle clam juice
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 lb. raw shrimp (24 count)
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon Pernod (optional)

Noodles:

1 lb. fettuccine noodles
2 tablespoons butter
5 cloves garlic- minced
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
green onions- chopped (garnish)

How to:

Make etouffe cream by melting butter in deep (I mean big) skillet, stir in flour, develop a brown roux. Add onion, peppers and celery, caramelize (about 3 minutes). Stir in garlic, basil, parsley, tomato paste, clam juice, Cajun seasoning, cayenne and pepper. Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes at medium heat. Stir in heavy cream, thicken, add salt. Simmer on low while preparing noodles.
Oh, yeah, I should have told you to boil water and cook fettuccine noodles (al dente), shock with HOT water and rinse with HOT water. Do that. Cream can simmer a little more.
Meanwhile, melt butter in sauce pan, add garlic for 1 minute. Stir in brown sugar, add fish sauce, stir for 1 minute. Toss mixture with noodles by hand (yes- hot!) then toss noodles and mixture with Parmesan cheese.
Serve in bowls or on plates. Spread noodles, scoop cream mixture over noodles, garnish with a little chopped green onion and enjoy!
In the near future I plan to list my proven recipe successes. All tried and true, morphed into what I consider worthy of my personal "Great Food" cook book. To date, I have 78 recipes ranging from American to Korean to Middle Eastern to Cajun to French to Italian to German to Mexican to..................you get my drift.
Hopefully my newspaper has shown up and I can get on with my day. Ciao.

2 comments:

momboe said...

What a wonderful way to share your insomnia!

Sarah. said...

O.M.G. that was the best meal I had eaten in a long time. I mean, like, slap-yer-mama good. Sorry Ma, but I'd totally smack ya to be able to eat that again. Yum.